Sunday, August 9, 2009

Keva Kate recycles!! Do you?

Yesterday I happened to catch the new episode of Brooke Knows Best. Yes, I know, I'm not exactly the "target demographic" for that show, but hey, it's mindless TV and sometimes I like it. :) Anyway, this latest episode dealt with her new roommates efforts at "going green". Oh, and don't even THINK about turning off the water supply while I'm in the shower (if you saw the episode, you know what I'm talking about).

Watching that episode last night actually made me more aware of what I do to "keep it green." Today, I made lunch. As usual, I made sure that as the different food containers were used up that I washed them, took the paper off, and sorted them in my recycling bins. I then wondered, "Do other people go to this much trouble when they make lunch??" Most of my friends don't. However, I think the main reason they don't is because they really don't know what they can or can't recycle. And since they don't know, they just don't do it. To help you get started, here is a little guide to plastics! Enjoy!

PETE represents plastics made from polyethylene terephthalate. This is the most widely recycled plastic and is commonly used for soft-drink bottles, water bottles, and medicine containers. This plastic is also commonly used in textiles which how a plastic bottle can be turned into fabric!

HDPE stands for high-density polyethylene. This plastic is usually brightly colored and can be found in the form of grocery bags, detergent and fabric softener bottles, shampoo and conditioner bottles, and motor oil bottles.


V represents polyvinyl chloride (PVC or vinyl). This plastic is most commonly used to make restaurant take-out containers packaging or packaging for precut fruit in the grocery store.


LDPE stands for low-density polyethylene. You will find that most sandwich bags, dry-cleaning bags, and fresh-produce bags at the grocery store are made of this material.



PP represents a class of plastics made of polypropylene. Manufacturers use this sturdy plastic to make syrup bottles, bottle caps, yogurt cups, diapers, and drinking straws.



PS stands for polystyrene, also known as Styrofoam. This type of plastic is most often used for drinking cups, food containers, and packing peanuts.



OTHER plastics represent…well, everything else! Products labeled as “other” are made of any mixture of the above plastics or possible an additional, less commonly used plastic. These plastics are generally not recyclable at most recycling centers.

Please remember that not all plastics are accepted at all recycling centers. Be sure to check out earth911.com to find out what the recycling center near you accepts!

Let's all do our part to keep things a little GREENER!

KEEP IT JUICY!

No comments:

Post a Comment