Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Oh, the places I'll go...

Today, I’m on the road. What’s new, right? I have to admit, a lot of times I like the freedom to travel from place to place, meeting new people and experiencing new things. However, occasionally I find myself in cities, no…towns, that, as kooky as they are, must actually reside at the center of the universe.

Earlier this morning I had to go to the post office. As luck would have it, the closest one was only 3 miles away! Rock! I get about a mile down the road and I realize I am out in the middle of NOWHERE! How a location can transform from a bustling metropolitan area to a rural country landscape in one mile is truly a geographical oddity. I started getting a little nervous and I actually thought to myself, “Man, I would TOTALLY stand out here. I am completely out of my element.”

Two more miles down the road I found the post office. This place couldn’t have been more than 750 square feet! (Surprisingly, I have actually seen one smaller.) Anyway, I walk in and the lady looks at me and says, “Well! Your outfit is so cute! You look so nice today. (pause) You aren’t from around here, are you?”

Obviously, I do a really bad job at blending in. Should I be offended? I'm not really sure what she meant by her comment, but I guess it just means that there is no going INCOGNITO for me!

On a completely different note...
Here is a delicious recipe for homemade applesauce the I promised yesterday. This is a great recipe if you have been apple picking or have just stocked up from your local grocery store. It is simple and tastes delicious!

HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE
5 large apples (I like to use Red Delicious apples because I like the natural sweetness)
¾ cup water
¼ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Stove Directions:
Peel apples. Core and chop into fine pieces. In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon (if desired). Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow apples to cool. If apples are not completely softened, mash with a fork or potato masher to desired consistency.

Slow Cooker Directions:
Peel apples. Core and chop into fine pieces. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours and LOW for one hour. Allow apples to cool. If apples are not completely softened, mash with a fork or potato masher to desired consistency.

NOTE: Splenda (or any other low-calorie sweetener) can be substituted for white sugar. Or if you like yours REALLY natural, eliminate this ingredient altogether!

ENJOY!

KEEP IT JUICY!

No comments:

Post a Comment